In the event of a disagreement with your bank, it may happen that no satisfactory solution is found. The first step is to file a complaint, of course. But what if it doesn't work and ends up in a dispute with your bank? We give you all the advice to resolve the situation in the best possible way.

Communicate with your bank

Management of your accounts, account maintenance fees, execution of a transaction ... A misunderstanding can arise, especially when it comes to money. In this case, we recommend that you always favor communication with your bank.

Check your accounts regularly. If you have any questions or if something seems abnormal to you, contact your bank advisor or, failing that, your bank's hotline. If the problem persists, send an email or letter to your advisor, with all supporting documents. Explain what you expect from your bank.

Send a letter of complaint

If you have explained your problem orally and in writing to your advisor and no solution could be found, we recommend that you send a complaint letter to your bank's customer complaints officer.

File a complaint with the CSSF

If the complaint didn't provide the expected result, you can contact the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF). According to the law, the CSSF is the competent authority to receive complaints from bank customers and act as an intermediary to settle the dispute amicably.

Would you like to know more about the CSSF complaints procedure, in particular the documents to attach? We have created a brochure for you "What to do in the event of a dispute with my bank?", in collaboration with the Fondation ABBL pour l'éducation financière and the Luxembourg Chamber of Commerce.

Call the mediation service

If you have completed the complaints procedure with the CSSF and still have not found a satisfactory agreement for the dispute with your bank, you can use a mediation procedure at the Center de Médiation Civile et Commerciale (CMCC).

  • Can all disputes with my bank be submitted to the CSSF for resolution?

    No, some complaints cannot be submitted to the CSSF for resolution. This is the case, for example, if your complaint concerns the commercial or pricing policy of the bank, a service or a product other than financial, or an insurance product.

  • During the complaint procedure with the CSSF, do I have to call upon a lawyer or a legal advisor?

    You are not obliged to do so. If you wish, you can of course be represented or assisted by a third party: a lawyer, a relative... And this, at all stages of the procedure.

  • I have not found a satisfactory solution to the dispute with my bank. Is it possible to go to court?

    It is always possible to take legal action if the dispute could not be resolved by other means.